This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Making big changes in your life feels daunting, but it doesn’t have to be. With a few new daily habits, you can set yourself up for success and make lasting changes. Your everyday habits impact what your life looks like right now. Whether you are satisfied or dissatisfied, you can look at your daily habits for answers to improve your life.
- Daily habits create a routine – Routines are much easier to follow and stick to. When it comes to creating healthy habits, following a routine is vital. You can do certain things every day to make sure you’re on the right track.
- Daily habits help keep you accountable – You are responsible for your actions and choices, and when you accept that, it’s much easier to create daily habits that align with your goals. They also help to keep you focused. If you’re trying to lose weight, for example, eating healthily every day is a habit you need to develop.
- Daily habits can help increase your motivation – Everyone has the drive to succeed already. Too often, folks wait for inspiration, but the truth is that the action you need to take comes before motivation. So, when you develop good habits, you’re more likely to stick to your goals.
- Daily habits improve your lifestyle – For example, if you develop healthy daily eating habits, your health will improve, and it will rub off on your entire life.
The most effective way to develop habits is to start small and gradually increase the difficulty level. You’re likely to fail if you try to do too much at once. Instead, start by making a couple of minor changes each day, gradually adding the new healthy habits to your schedule.
Starting with the small things means that you avoid overwhelming yourself. Focus on things like how you spend your money, the way you make your to-do lists, whether or not you prioritize your family, how much you exercise, and whether or not you are grateful about your life (and show it). These things play an essential role in your view of success or lack of success in your life.
So, without further ado, let’s explore these five effective ways to make big changes in your life with new daily habits surrounding each one.
Be Mindful of Your Money
Money is a powerful tool, and if you want to make changes in your life, mindfulness regarding how you use it is required. If you need to, learn how money works by taking a class about finance and budgeting. You can find money management classes online and offline, free or for a low cost. Track your spending and make sure your money goes towards things that matter to you. Set a budget and stick to it. Making other changes in your life is easier when you have your finances in order.
Changing your spending habits even in a small way will significantly impact your overall financial health. However, being intentional about how you use your money is required, or it can quickly go sideways without you even realizing what’s happening. Consider learning budgeting by exploring methods like the zero-based budget or the 50-30-20 plan.
Bad money habits can include mindlessly swiping your credit card for every purchase, impulse buying, or failing to track your spending.
The good news is that breaking these habits and creating new and healthier ones is entirely possible. All it takes to be successful in managing your money is a bit of self-awareness and some effort on your part.
Track Your Spending
There are several ways to track spending. The key to success with spending tracking is to be as detailed as possible. Keep track of what you spend your money on, how much you spend, and when you spend it. Daily tracking will give you a better understanding of where your money is going and how you can start reining it in.
Set a Budget and Stick to It
Budgets don’t have to be restrictive or limiting. They can be beneficial in keeping you on track. First, determine how much you want to save each month, week, or day and develop a habit to stick to it. Then, make the process automated to help you avoid overspending and keep your finances in check.
Make a List of Priorities
What matters most to you? Is it traveling, buying a new car, or saving for a rainy day? Once you know what’s important to you, you can allocate your money accordingly. This doesn’t mean you can’t have fun with your money, but it does mean being mindful of how you’re spending it.
Making these small changes can greatly impact your overall financial health. So, start as soon as you can implement this into your daily life.
Organize Your To-Do Lists
To-do lists are essential for anyone trying to make changes in their life. But all too often, they’re filled with mundane tasks that have nothing to do with larger goals. Take the time to brainstorm and consider the things you want to achieve and their relationship to your big goals in life. Next, organize everything by short-, medium-, and long-term goals. Then, manage your to-do list accordingly. Make sure every task you complete moves you closer to your goals in a timely and efficient way.
Know What You Want
One way to make sure your to-do list is effective is to organize it based on your life goals. This means that every task on your list should be helping you move closer to your target. For example, if you want to get healthy, your to-do list should include tasks like “eat healthy foods” and “exercise for 30 minutes.” But you need to be super-specific by specifying a time and a place and then setting up your day to give you the time you need to achieve it.
Likewise, if your goal is to save money, tasks like “save $50 this week” or “create a budget” should be on your list, but don’t be vague. Be very specific and ensure that all your goals are SMART goals: specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and timely. You can learn about setting SMART Goals through almost any college website such as this one from the University of California. It’s a PDF that will automatically download.
Get Organized with Technology or Go Old School
You can organize your to-do list in many different ways. You can use a physical notebook, an app on your phone, or even just a piece of paper. The critical factor is finding a system that works for you and that you can stick to. A few options include Todoist, Any.Do, Wunderlist and Evernote. In addition, some folks use their AI assistants like Alexa or Google Assistant to help.
Consider asking your friends or a life coach to help you learn better organizational skills. Organizing your to-do list can be a daunting task, but it’s worth it because you’re more likely to achieve your goals when you have a relevant to-do list.
By taking the time to organize your to-do list based on your life goals, you’re more likely to achieve them. You have several options to accomplish your to-do list organization, so use what works for you.
Prioritize Your Family & Family Time
Family is why most people do anything in life. Yet often, family is taken for granted. A good change to make in your life is to be available for your family by making them your priority. Set aside time each week for all family members to be together if possible. Eat dinner together, go on walks, or just hang out. You’ll be happier, and your family will be too when you make them a priority.
These daily habits can be adopted to ensure that you’re making time for your family.
Meal Plan and Cook Together
Meal plan and cook dinner together as often as possible. Cooking, meal planning, and even grocery shopping are great ways to spend time with your family, and it also saves you money.
Make Your Weekends Special
Make time for your family at weekends. For example, set aside some time each weekend to enjoy brunches and breakfast together. Ensure that you find a way to enjoy a memorable time with them.
Don’t Forget Family Game Night
Have a family game night. Board games, electronic games, or card games are all fantastic ways to have fun and spend time with your loved ones. Don’t turn down technical games, because there are lots of fun games that can bring you closer to your family on the computer or gaming machines.
Go for walks together. Exercise, playing games, walking, swimming, golfing, and running are all fun ways to spend quality time with your family. A bonus is that exercise is a great way to stay healthy too – more on that below.
Ditch the Electronics
Make a rule that no phones or electronics are allowed during family time. This will help you focus on each other, and you’ll be surprised at how much more connected you feel.
These simple ideas will ensure that you’re prioritizing your family and spending quality time with them. Your family is almost everything in life, so don’t take them for granted. Instead, be available for them, and you’ll be happier and healthier as a result.
Move Your Body More
Exercise is required for both physical and mental health. But it’s often one of the first things to go when we’re busy. The sad fact is that you don’t even need that much daily exercise to maintain your health.
Studies show that walking at a moderate pace, just thirty minutes a day, benefits your health. If you want to make changes in your life, commit to moving your body daily. It doesn’t have to be anything crazy; a simple walk around the block will do. But make sure you get moving every day. Having said that, getting in enough movement each day can be a challenge – especially if you’ve been sedentary for a while.
Here are some tips to get around that.
Make It Part of Your Routine
If you can, try to make physical activity a regular part of your day. Whether that means taking a morning walk, going for a bike ride after work, or taking a yoga class once a week, the key is to find something you enjoy and make it a part of your routine.
If you’re just getting started, don’t do too much. It’ll cause you pain and sap your motivation to keep moving if you do. Instead, start with some simple movements and gradually increase the intensity and duration as you get more comfortable. Even if you’re entirely out of shape and just take a five-minute walk each day, you will improve in no time.
Find a Buddy
Getting active and moving more with a friend or family member can make it more fun and help keep you accountable. Plus, you can encourage each other to stick with it when things get tough. The added benefit is that socializing around a physical activity makes it more fun.
Use the Right Equipment
An effective way to stick to your exercise goals is to use the right equipment, depending on your exercise type:
- A movement or step tracker to help you keep track of your progress
- A good pair of sneakers for your favorite activity
- A yoga mat for at-home workouts
- YouTube videos made by experts so you can check your form
- A good water bottle
Everyone knows that moving your body is good for you. Daily movement helps keep your heart healthy, improves your mood, and helps you maintain a healthy weight. Developing the daily habit of moving your body is one of the best things you can do for your health. By following these tips, you can make it happen with ease.
Live Each Day with Intention & Gratitude
Another effective way to make big changes in your life is to live each day with intention and gratitude. Wake up each morning and take a few minutes to think about what you’re grateful for. Then, make a list of your intentions for the day and read them before you go to bed. You’ll be gratified to know that it’s much easier to make changes when you’re focused on the positive.
Here are several habits that help you live each day with intention and gratitude:
- Wake up each day with a positive attitude – When you wake up each day, start your day with intention and gratitude. This means taking a few moments to think about what you’re grateful for and what your goals are for the day. Consider this your time to set the tone for the day ahead.
- Make time for yourself each morning to set your intentions for the day – Rise a little earlier each morning so you can set your day up for success by looking at your to-do list or spending time meditating.
- Take time to notice little things that make you happy – Set a timer on your smartphone that reminds you to appreciate something about your day now and then. You’ll be amazed how just reading the reminder to appreciate something will make you feel happy.
- Keep a gratitude journal to jot down things you’re grateful for each day – You can do this with a notebook or use an app on your smartphone to keep track of the things you feel grateful for each day.
- End your day by reflecting on what you’ve accomplished and what you still want to achieve – Have a good end time for your day that allows you to focus on the things you’ve finished and achieved, while also focusing on what’s next.
- Spend time with positive people who will help support your goals and intentions – When you hang around with folks who make you feel good about yourself and hold you to your principles, morals, and values, it will make you better every single time.
- Stay away from negative people and things that don’t serve your goals – Likewise, spending too much time around folks who are not making you feel good will not help you find ways to limit your time around negative people.
- Live in the present moment as much as possible and enjoy your life – Starting a daily meditation practice focused on mindfulness is a terrific way to ensure that you get as much enjoyment from your life as possible. After all, your life is happening right now. So even if things aren’t perfect, you can still be happy.
By following these daily habits, you’ll be well on your way to living each day with intention and gratitude. Add these habits into your life and check back in a month to see how better you feel. Keep track in your journal so you know your new daily habits are working for you.
It’s easier to stay motivated when you set goals and focus on what you want to achieve. But when you’re constantly worrying about what might go wrong, it’s hard to stay positive and focused. Starting your day with gratitude rubs off onto the rest of the day. When you take the time to appreciate the good things in your life, it’s easier to stay positive and motivated.
Daily Habits, Lasting Impact
Making big changes seems daunting, but it doesn’t have to be. With a few new daily habits, you can set yourself up for success and make lasting changes. These ideas are just a few ways to get you started; there are countless other possibilities. First, be patient and be persistent. All good things require time, including lasting changes. But with a bit of effort, you can make big changes in your life – one day at a time.